Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Warning!!! This Blog May Cause Whiplash from Your Disbelief

Dear Henry,

First of all, people reading this will think I'm crazy. They are also likely to not believe me, maybe even e-mail me to let me know that I have become completely delusional and am spending too much time by myself during the day and may even recommend people I could see for help. I promise you! Mommy is telling the truth! Grandma can back me up on this. She is my witness.

Here we go...

A couple of weeks ago Mommy started making lots of sounds at you, and from time to time you'd repeat back an "ah" or "eee." This weekend on the long ride to Atlanta and back Grandma P and I made lots of noises with you. Near the end of our ride home, somewhere in Kentucky, just after dark, my smart boy was starin' me down as usual and I was lookin' like a fool, sounding like Nemo talkin' to the whales in "Finding Nemo" and about three times I said, "I love you! I love you! I love you!" You smiled at me, worked your mouth around and looked into my eyes and as clear as day you said, "I love you!" Yes you did! No joke! I paused, grandma paused, we looked at each other with that look that peels into the others brain and we both freaked out at the same time! It was incredible! Now, Daddy and Crappaw, sitting in the front listening to the radio and chatting did not hear you and we tried to make it happen again but it did not, until later that night but it was still only Grandma P and me and not as crisp.


Today you said, "HI."

Now Henry, Mommy isn't an idiot, she knows that you do
not know what words go with all the feedin' and cuddlin' I've been giving you so that you spontaneously decided, "I must tell Mommy I love her." I know that you were only repeating sounds, but damn! you put three sounds together and you were SO clear the first time. This is still a milestone. I'm so proud of you! ... and shocked! It doesn't matter to me if you know what you're doing, just yet. I waited my entire life to hear my very own sweet boy say those words while looking into my eyes and I'll take it.

I love you too baby.

Love, Mommy

6 comments:

Steven said...

This was such a sweet post, now I feel bad for doubting you... but I still think you're nuttier than a fruitcake.

Anonymous said...

Hey! I was there. I couldn't beleive it, either. It sure made a memory. Love, Gma

Anonymous said...

Hey! I was there. I couldn't believe what I heard. It sure made for an awesome memory. Gma

Anonymous said...

I babbling away at a very young age, some things were SO clear and I too experienced an early "I love you" but was not crazy enough to share it with the world so they could tell me how crazy I was!! Anyway, she now says at least half a dozen things and understands 100's of words. We are amazing creatures. Henry is lucky to have you paying such close attention to him. Love these postings...AMW

Anonymous said...

OK Apparantly The name Emi was left of the beginning of the last post--so I was not babbling--well i do--but Emi was babbling away at a very young....AMW Sorry

Kitty said...

stumbled upon your delightful blog this morning. i totally believe you. it's totally possible and my son did it , too. enjoy your totally excellent little man!