Wednesday, May 20, 2009

SHOT to the Heart, Mommy's to Blame, She gives Love A Bad Name!

Dear Henry,

I took you for your second round of shots today. I wasn't looking forward to it for many reasons. The last round you were not quite yourself for about 4 days afterward, not to mention the pain it causes you is not super appealing. It went well, you had Nice Nurse and she loved on you a bit before giving you the oral vaccination. While I should have been happy that at least one of these vaccinations was not a shot I hated the sense that I was lulling you into a false sense of happiness and well being.

She pushed the plunger slowly into your mouth and Mommy felt sick as she saw you smiling and talking as if to say, "This is sweet Mommy. Thank you!" Your precious baby smiles all gummy and wet about to be wiped off of your face with the harsh sting of the leg shot.

I put you down so I could get up in your ear and start shshhhhhooshing you... and YOWSAH!

You started screamin'. It lasted about 30 seconds to a minute and then you chilled. You laid there looking at me with your pretty baby blue/greens shocked.



I put you in your car seat and we headed to the license branch. You seemed good. We arrived home, you started to fuss a bit. Mommy laid you on a blanket on your
tummy and went to the bathroom. I thought you might like to play when I returned so I set your bowling pin up and left sock monkey next to you for company. I came back and even in your anxious state you had knocked your bowling pin down with your head, rolled over, and fell asleep. I wasn't in the other room more than two minutes and you accomplished all of that, grumpy and all. I'm glad that you were sleepin' it off but this didn't last long. An hour or so later you started wailing! and wailing! and wailing! a high pitched sucker punch scream that made me feel as if my ears were pouring blood. Mommy tried to hold you, gave you acetaminophen, feed you, reasoned with you but for 45 minutes nothing was doin'. I called the doctor for advice. There really wasn't any advice except if it continues for 6 hours there might be a problem!!! 6 hours!!! I think my ear drums would have shriveled and my brain explode by hour 3.

About minute 50 a UPS package arrived and it was some new handmade blankies from Greatest Auntie Linda. I spread out the duckie blanket and put you on it. I fixed you a bottle and came back and you were asleep! Hallelujah! You've been off and on with happy sad for last couple of hours but you're still the sweetest thing I've ever held. Mommy is so happy you don't have to go get stuck again for a few months.

Love, Mommy

1 comment:

Brook said...

This is the 2nd time I have come back to read this. Yeah, I'm weird like that. But it is a good thing I did because I totally missed that hair the first time. Seriously awesome do, man! I love it!