Thursday, April 30, 2009

Rip Van Winkle

Dear Henry,

Or should I say, "Dear Rip?"

Rip Van Winkle is the story by Washington Irving written during the early 1800's about a man who has a crappy farm because he is lazy but people love him because he is docile and nice, except his wife because she is always annoyed with his laziness. One day he goes out, in the years before the American Revolution (believe me! you'll hear plenty about this from Mommy one day, now is not the time) and he goes a drinkin' with the boys to get away from his crag of a wife and falls asleep and sleeps and sleeps for 20 years and wakes up after the American Revolution and vows his loyalty to Kind George of England. He returns to his lazy life and lives with his grown daughter because his wife is dead. It is a story that is supposed to make husbands envious of Rip because he escaped his pain in the neck wife.

Okay, so now that I've reviewed the story from several resources and have written the brief summary above I am perplexed by something... Why in the hell would people want their children to read this story? Your very own mother played the role of Ms. Rip Van Winkle as a kindergartner in 1980 while wearing her great grandma's glass and as legend has it Mr. Rip Van Winkle, Craig Gant, had to endure me telling him all of his lines. I guess I fit the role.... I digress...

So you take after Mr. Van Winkle on two accounts. You love to drink all day long, albeit your drink is baby booze called Infamile Lipil for Gas and Fussiness, and you love to sleep. You've been sleeping through the night the past week and today you were awake a total of 40 minutes. That wasn't 40 solid minutes but bits and pieces through out the day. I can only figure that you're growing. This is partly the reason I've not posted any photos of you the last couple of days, you've been sleeping. I started to play with you and your beloved bowling pin this evening and I said, "look Daddy! He's playing with me!" Daddy said, "No you're playing with yourself, he is falling asleep!" I looked and sure enough you were all passing out on me. I know, I know! Right now it sounds as if I'm living up to the reputation of that role I played so many years ago but I'm not complaining or naggin' at ya. I know you're growing and it takes tons of energy. I am just doing my job of documenting you day in and day out behaviors and to share the last photos I tried to take of you. You were yawning SO much in a 10 minute period of time I could hardly get a photo of you with your mouth shut.











I love ya sleepy head,

Love, Momma

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

All this growing wears a baby out!! He is so handsome!! Love the post about your friends too--congrats to them. It makes me smile to think that babies are finding their mommies and daddies. Enjoy these days--I swear the time flies and with each child it just seems to go faster. Em is already 9 months and it seems like she should be 4 months. Hope we can see you all again sometime!! AMW

Laura said...

HI! I'm Brook's friend From PA, Laura... Awesome Blog! What a treasure! I know Brook and Corey and Baby Lily will soooo appreciate it:) Especially once the sleep deprivation begins to fade:) You're all so wonderful and I'm grateful that she has such an amazing support system! I wish I'd been so lucky:)

Anonymous said...

Honey! As I recall, you helped more than Craig, with his lines. You could have been a human cue card or monitor. You stood there and didn't move anything but your lips when someone needed a reminder. It is one of my favorite memories of you.

Henry knows that he is going to have all of the help he needs to get raised. He's not worried.

My mother says that I slept for a year. I hope that doesn't worry you. Love, Mom