Thursday, April 2, 2009

Goin' Visitin'

Dear Henry,

Today we took a beautiful ride through the Indiana countryside to visit J and her boys Tommy (3) and Uriah (1). J has seen you every week since you made your appearance in this world but the visits have been quick and more or less in passing. The mommies were going a little stir crazy stuck in our houses the past few days so we decided we needed to get together. Today turne
d out to be a wonderful day for a drive and visit. It was a little breezy but warm and sunny.



On such a beautiful day on our way to visit the woman that brought us together I felt quite a well of emotion. I kept thinking about how our long, long dream has come together in such a way that it all feels so right. We not only added you to our family but we are so fortunate because we also get to add J, Tommy, and Uriah. We love J so much for who she is (gutsy, direct, honest and funny) as well as for making such a loving choice to place you into our lives. It puts me in awe when I think about how much love surrounds you my wonderful Henry.

We arrived at J's about 11:30. We were due at 11:00 but you would not stop eating before we left. You ate 3oz, 3 times in 3 hours! We arrive and Tommy jumps in the car and gently pokes your forehead with his index finger and says in his high pitched cartoon voice, "Hey! he sure is a little one." J loads the other two car seats and we are off to lunch. Their town has limited choices so we decide on the truck stop where Mama and Papa first met J and her sister back in January. We even sit at the same table! J holds you and we talk about your handsome features and comment on how your eyes are changing color and lightening to a green-grey and how your hair is exactly her color. Tommy did a few tricks with the silverware and Uriah just wanted his taters.




After lunch we go back to J's place and she cuddles you some more while Tommy gives me a tour. As it is getting time to leave you decide to leave a little present at J's house. While I am changing you Tommy notices you are a little fussy and gets your bottle out of your diaper bag. He is so sweet and gentle giving you your bottle and he complemented you on how he likes how your hair has swirls in it. We pack up and give J a big hug and a little smooch and she returns the love.

On our way back I see a sign for a state park and decide to take a detour from the regular route and it is well worth it. We get out and look at the beautiful bridge and waterfalls. You are awake and peaceful and I could tell you love the sound of the falls. After our short stop we make our way home to wait for daddy to arrive from work. It is Coney Dog Night!

I know someday these visits will perhaps become less frequent as conversely they will perhaps become more important to you. Mommy and Daddy will keep the importance of J in our lives and in your life so you too can someday be in awe of all of the love that surrounds you.


Love, Mommy

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very nice, Lisa. Henry needs some cereal. Love, Mom

Anonymous said...

I just got my Henry fix for a few days--thanks!! You know Lisa--you and the little man should venture over to our place sometime--we could press the little dude's hands and feet in come clay to make you a gift to treasure...all 3of my kids have thier baby hands and feet forever molded in a slab of clay that hangs on the wall. Our door is always open!! Amanda W

Anonymous said...

I know this may seem strange, as I met you in a coffee shop under the auspices of well-intentioned adoption-ear-perked eavesdropping and I am now reading all of your baby blog, but your stories and Henry have really hit something in me. Thank you so much for sharing your experience. I can't tell you how touched I am by the huge love implicit in your open adoption. It has given me some hope that contacting my own birthmother, 25 years later, is a feasible, flexible process. Congratulations on becoming a new mom (and dad)!

-Maureen

Brook said...

This post made me cry. So beautiful. I love the photo of J's huge smile. Love love love. That is what it is.

Oh, and Hi Maureen! You can eavesdrop on us anytime. So glad to meet you :)