Monday, April 12, 2010

Winter Hibernation

Dear Henry,  A few weeks ago winters cloak of grey and cold lifted, birds started chirping and color slid its way back into the world.  We stretched our lazy bodies out of bed and after dressing I decided we'd go for a walk outside.  I opened the front door and gave you a gentle push to the opening and you just stood there.  I couldn't get you to step over the threshold.  I stepped passed you to encourage you out only to find this expression...
Clearly you couldn't believe you could really walk out into the world so easily.  You had sludged around in the snow, stared down the cold from the window and let it nip your nose in the dash from house to car, car to grocery and NOW! you could go out sans the assault to your baby senses?  I know you were really happy for the reprieve.
I loved the look of wonderment and your tentative steps lead to confident plods around the yard.  Picking up sticks, banging on water main covers and chewing on everything quickened your pace.  
Later that afternoon we put together the wagon you received for Christmas.  I asked you to hand me things and you did on cue.  Much like Mommy would help Crappaw back in the day you assisted me.   "Wheel Mommy?  I have it! Here!"  and you'd shove it in my face.
When Daddy returned home from work we made a few rollies (ham and turkey rolled up in a slice of provolone or cheddar), some drinks and loaded you into your wagon with blankie in tow.  You loved your first wagon ride.  
Daddy played music on his Droid while we made our way around the neighborhood.  It was this day that you decided to say "flower" for the first time.  You would take the flower in hand shove it up in your nose and snarf at it.  You get what smelling looks like but still need more practice on the actual skill set.  As you looked around from your chariot you babbled and started working your hands like you were reciting an important poem dedicated to the chirps of baby birds, dry crusted worms and tiny buds.  
Because I'm behind on post I'll blend in some other first spring days...
The next day we went to Crappaw's and Grandma P's.  We went for a little walk to the end of the drive to get Crappaw some exercise.  I pulled you down the drive in Great Aunt Judy's old wagon and you pushed it back.
A couple of nights later we took a walk around the neighborhood when Daddy got off of work.  You picked up and identified with a nasal squeak, "pinecone."  By the end of the walk you were tired and Daddy had to carry you home.
We don't limit our walks to the neighborhood.  While waiting for Daddy to meet us for your Friday record pick you enjoyed climbing stairs and smudgin' up windows along the downtown square.  You picked out Tommy Roe this week, to my delight. 
It is so much fun getting to explore outside with you.  You love listening to birds, picking up every stick, and getting dirt under your nails.  I can't wait until you're a little older and we can all go camping!
 Love, Mommy   

No comments: