Wednesday, November 17, 2010

An Awesome Autumn Alphabet Adventure [3 of 26] C is for Chicken Noodle Soup Served up like Aunt Claircee

Dear CacaCooCoo, 
When I was a little girl and Aunt Claircee, Grandma P's sister, would have me and uncle Gary over to play with cousins Wendy, Tommy, and Tony she never allowed us to go hungry.  I have vivid content memories of lunch time because I always thought it felt warm and cozy and I knew what to expect...
Campbell's soup, usually vegetable beef, chicken noodle, or tomato.  It some how felt fancy in the cool white Corelle bowl encircled with what I believe was the green spring blossom pattern placed a top a matching plate with ritz crackers fanned around the edges, sometimes with peanut butter.  It is funny what you think is fancy as a kid even without smoke and mirrors.  No special frills yet special all the same.  Perhaps it was just the feeling of being in a place where you knew you were loved, would be safe and taken care of, but I loved those little lunches and get a visceral reaction when I see that type of dinnerware even today.  Mama's not sure exactly when simple happiness for kids was that the soup pasta was the alphabet in lieu of noodles but I want you to notice the little things.  My heart's desire is that you aren't hoodwinked by flash, bling, noise, or mass hysteria but rather hold on to the small moments and details like soup near the window on a sunny afternoon with people who love you.  Then like Aunt Claircee I'd tell ya to, "Get on outside and play! Go on!"  For now you seem to love it.  You get out the bowls and beg for soup just about every day, but each cracker only gets licked off and one or two bites taken out of it.
C is for Chicken Noodle Soup Aunt Claircee's Style 

Love, Mama
*It may have been the other pattern, I think Aunt Judy had the spring blossom...that's an entire other post for a later date. By the way the smock your wearing was Mama's as a little girl.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I don't think I ever read this one, Lisa! Makes me cry! what doesn't?