Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Reading is FUNdamental

Dear Henry,

Many times since you've come to be around here there are these short passages of time in which everything seems to slow down and there is not a single thing in my head other than that moment of your new experience. This is saying a lot as there is an Indy 500 of ideas and thoughts
racing in my brain at any instance; complete with pit stops, crashes and victories. In these moments when I can shut all my brain's crap-talk off all things are in line and a steady hum of happy contentment ensues. I sigh and enjoy it for as long as it lasts and will ruminate on it later. This past week you started to change a lot. You slipped from being a crunchie baby, as Brook calls it, to more boy like; more human less animal.

You look around with a look of understanding, you grab things, laugh, respond, "talk", smile, follow, snuggle back, sit for seconds unassisted, and use your hands to swat. You are starting to show your developing ability to problem solve and make decisions about where you want to be, see and do. I can tell sometimes you are a little bored and think of a silly song to sing to you or read you a book.

Last week during one of the hundreds of special moments, someday to be one of thousands, Daddy came home from work and Mommy was cooking dinner for us, Chicken Parmesan I believe. You were on the counter laying on your blanket Aimee made you lookin' a little bored. Mommy had just taken you to the library. I got out a couple of the books we checked out so Daddy could read to you. Daddy chose
Elmer's Day. A book Mommy chose because you have a great grandpa Elmer. Daddy opened the book and started to read to you. You became enthused and kicked your legs. After a couple of pages you started to actually touch around the page and engage in the whole thing. You cooed and smiled at times, all the while a pretty stream of light fit for a Renaissance painting flitted through the window and threw glossy twinkles in the eyes of my two boys, birds were singing and the heavens opened up to spread love and world peace to all... well, something like that... anyway... my chicken parm kicked butt and you and Daddy had some good bonding time. It was a sweet time.

Again, my gratitude of havin' my baby boy and my hard working husband in the kitchen while I finished dinner made my head hum.

Mommy used to wonder if her strong desire to be a stay-at-home mom/housewife was a rejection of all the hard work of women and forward thinking men before me to earn the right and ability to expand past the confines of the house. I now know that being a mother and wife does not reject that work because the key word is choice. Daddy works hard to afford us the opportunity to stay home together. I know many families do not have this luxury. I can't say enough how grateful I am to be able to make that choice. Thanks to all of the work toward equal opportunities
I'm happy that you will grow up in a world where it will be acceptable for you to be home to do the same with your child.

I love teaching but, Peep Peep, I love you in my core. I'm glad to know that it is my arms that wrap around you when you wake up after your nap, my voice (you poor thing) that sings you silly songs in the afternoon, my shirt you pee on during bath time (although I would swap that one out for a rudimentary "mama" or a high five) and my hands that pat your man size burps up and out from your tummy.

Love, Mama

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree Lisa, there is nothing better than getting to be the one to be there from day one for your child. So important and it goes so fast. Keep enjoying every moment and sharing those times with friends and family!! AMW

Anonymous said...

Aw!

Steven said...

these entries (and pictures) make it a tiny bit easier to be away from you two all day. keep 'em comin'!! i love you both...

Brook said...

You are so right Lisa. It is KILLING me that I am going to have to go back to work. You perfectly captured my thoughts here.