Saturday, June 27, 2009

Ladies and Gentleman, Mr. Personality Has Arrived!

Dear Henry,

Sometime last week your personality found its way into your body. Not that you were a lifeless lump, boring and
limp until last week but all at once it was as if a lightening bolt zapped you into animation. I have already mentioned the incident with the paintbrushes and water... this was just the impetus to all of the new changes. Perhaps you are meant to be a famous painter and the brushes in your hands and the hope of a canvas was an awakening for you to find your purpose. You babble and talk like it is a race to get everything out, you're playing with toys now and go after them, you can crawl about six inches, you can sit by yourself for at least 14 seconds, you decided yesterday to roll over from your back to your belly and haven't stopped, you are blowing spit soaked raspberries, you said Mama aloud and in sign language!!!!, with some reliability you crudely sign and say I love you and you are growin' out of your 3 month clothes. You were getting SO hungry even after many 8 oz bottles in a day we've started to give you cereal about once a day. Somehow you knew exactly what to do the first time. The second cereal time was with Grandma P. When some would get on your chin she would scoop it up with her finger and you would go at her finger like a feral dog! No worries Fido, there will always be enough food for you. You have honed a sense of humor and smile like you've won the lotto and enjoy making up games and laughing at yourself. The games are not really sophisticated but they certainly show you're thinking and are aware of the world. For instance, today I was riding in the back of the van with you and you grabbed my index finger and started putting it in your mouth, sucking on it twice, you then took it out, looked at it, look at me, you would smile and then laugh. You did this over and over again until you decided to switch to my middle finger. You give me these silly little grins that make you look like Porky Pig or the Piggly Wiggly mascot. It is almost too much to take when you laugh and giggle with all of your body making your shoulders scrunch up into your jowls while wrinklin' your little pug nose.


This past week you had your first experiences in a swimming pool and hot tub. You are so open to new experiences and so you didn't even wince in the water.




You floated around and babbled with Great Auntie Glo, Crappaw and Mommy like your big secret is that you're amphibian and it feels nice to return to the water once again. You didn't cry to get out, you didn't freak if water moved around you or you got a little on your face. I know someday this might change, especially as you develop an awareness that there are things to fear but, for now, I like this consistent trait of Henry. It makes it so pleasant to be around you, for Mommy
and Daddy and for others. This easy goin' thing also means your opportunities will be broader because Mommy and Daddy will lack anxiety over taking you to new activities. It is a relief to not have to walk on egg shells filled with worry about what might set you off.

We just love you more and more and more and more and more every day. So does everyone else. Your sweetness diffuses into the air like a sugary cotton candy perfume and I'm drawn to you. It is hard not to snatch you out of the bed at night and cuddle you up. Daddy has to convince me to leave you alone so you can get rest, but I don't want to!

Another emerging part of your worldly awareness is the increase in your fear. You still hold it together, keepin' true to your cool as cucumber self but a sharp noise you can't see and your face frowns. You look to Daddy or Mommy for some reassurance. If you can't quite make out if you're in the clear right away you might let out a mighty 20 second howl then you suck it up and calm down on your own. Sometimes you'll even be stuck between being scared but keepin' the smile on your face. A frown smile war takes over your expression until you get the okay from us. This is way too cute when you do this and we jump to make it all better
so you don't have to lose that sloppy pink smile. Last night I laid you in your room to start your sleep and I turned off the light and I could see the ambient light from the hall gleamin' in your peepers. Your expression was a priceless beam of "uh, uh, Mommy I don't know about this dark thing," and, "aaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh, boy am I tired and this bed feels good." When your expression returned to calm I said, "I love you Peep Peep," and left you to your dreams. I came to check on you less than 5 minutes later and you were down for the count with your arms surrendered above your head.

I can't wait for what tomorrow brings from you. But stay tuned Henry, I'm sure Mommy will share it here and trust me when I say these first months will be much easier for you to read about than the
teen years.

Did I mention you also have finger toes like Mommy?

Ble ble ble ble that's all folks,
Love Mommy

1 comment:

Kara said...

What a beautiful boy! I love him!!