Friday, March 16, 2012

These Are the Days To Hold On To

Dear Hensry, 
This week I found a baseball cap at the top of my closet with the words Butch's Place scripted across the front, a dive bar in Bahboo's hometown of Michigan City, IN.  I asked if you would like to wear it and with an emphatic, "YES!" you took ownership.  Daddy said, "Hey Butch!"  You said, "I'm not Butch! It just comes from a place called Butch's.  That's Bahboo!"  After a few adjustments to tighten it up on your head you asked, "Is my hair sticking out the back?  Bahboo's hair always sticks out the back."  You were satisfied when I confirmed it was.  Later in the day you kept taking it off and leaving it places just so you could feign importance to run and get it, "OH! The sun is in my eyes, I need to get my hat!  Oh! I am a little cold, I need to go get my hat."  In the evening I put the hat on you so Daddy could see it when he got home. You protested that I put it on front to back because Bahboo is certainly a back to front ball capper, hence the rooster tail results.  When we came in from working outside yesterday you told me that you were going to keep it on the corner of your easel cousin Wendy bought for you so it is quick to recover.  I'll be honest, I've been moving it to see if you would noticed.  Duh!  Of course you've noticed.  It is securely hanging there now.  
On the way to the zoo you were quietly riding in the back and after a period of time you asked, "Is this hat a gift from Bahboo?  Do I have to give it back?"  I wasn't sure why you were asking.  I mean, we were on the way to the zoo... I thought maybe you were considering flinging it to the Kudus again as you did my favorite stocking cap back in the fall.  
Nope, you just really wanted to keep it.  I can tell it makes you feel close to your Bahboo.  You are so observant.  I am glad you want to be like him.  He is a good one and he sure does love you.
Love, Mama

No comments: