Thursday, February 25, 2010

Little Rascal

Dear Henry, 
Mommy has already documented your love for the toilet.  Yes, it turns out this wasn't just a fleeting boy at home's crush.  One component of your toilet love is the sneakiness of it all.  If I should innocently leave the bathroom door unlatched you will figure it out in no time.  I hear the splash splash and I know you are in the toilet, AGAIN!  I know that you know that you are not supposed to be there because as I approach the splashing quickens like a guilty heart beat.  As I enter the door you frantically get a few more splashes in and as I drag you away you reach and call to your buddy with the lids, flusher and water.  The other day I found you floating your large duckie in the toilet.  Ewe!  I did sanitize it after.  
Let Mommy just say, you aren't alone that long but you are FAST as lightening.  30 seconds and you're into something.
Lately you've started carrying over your sneak to any of the other doors not fully latched.  Most recently you have targeted Mommy and Daddy's bedroom door.  You get in and take as much as you can off of Mommy's end table.  The other day I came down the hall to find you like this....
That isn't a shadow on the carpet it is water.
You had managed to carry the cup of water off of the table and into the hall.  You had the straw in your hand and were trying to drink from the cup.  Mommy held back and watched you for a minute and as you tried to get the straw back into the cup you knocked it over.  
A mess.  Water all over you, all over the floor.
 You little rascal.  I'm going to go check those doors right now.
Love, Mommy

3 comments:

Bumble's Bounce said...

Two words: Toilet Lock

Man that is scary! I put a door lock on our bathroom the second Bumble started walking, it totally scared me.... I watched a lot of rescue 911 when I was growing up:) Not on purpose.... I worked in a classroom for students with disabilities, and we watched tapes every Friday:) Little real life, life skills lessons:) MANY of the shows were children/household accidents and such.... who knew kids were so slippery?

I know One Step ahead has the the toilet locks: http://www.onestepahead.com/catalog/search.jsp?N=0&Nty=1&Ntk=Def&Ntx=mode%20matchpartialmax&Ntt=toilet%20lock&D=toilet%20lock&Dk=1

This is "sort of" what we have on our bathroom doors, basement doors, and the door to the closet that holds household meds and such.


http://www.onestepahead.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=535457&cmSource=Search

Bumble is 3 and I only just started to feel like I could leave the bathroom door downstairs open, but the one upstairs gets locked now, as she's in a big girl bed, and gets up on her own.... Don't ever want to risk her "exploring" whilst I sleep...right?! (oh and one of my friends had to take her 3 yr old to the ER about 2 months ago for drinking Children's Tylenol...which I found out can be deadly/damaging)

They are fast! Good luck:)
Signed,
The Safety Police...ha. ha. ha.

Brook said...

Sly little man!

Yeah, I have been researching those toilet latches, too. We are definitely getting one since Lily is very interested in all things water, as well. I read a blog where a woman's little boy drown in 3" of water in the bathtub. Freaked the heck out of me.

Anonymous said...

I am glad my kid was not the only one--this IS a stage--he will learn...eventually. I long for summer when I can put Emi out with a tote of water and some cups--she will love it!! In the meantime...happy chasing!! I love your description of Henry splashing faster as you approach him to get a few more splashes in, I can totally imagine that--I have been there too--they are sneaky lil' buggers!! AMW