Sunday, November 29, 2009

Fear Not

Dear Henry,
Vacuum, sheet drifting down, jello falling out of Mommy's mouth, robot activated, basket on head with a little roar...What do these things all have in common?  They once made you giggle and they now make you cry.   This week you discovered fear and apprehension.  It all started when Mommy took the basket we put all of your toys in, put it on my head and gave a little roar.  You looked startled, your eyes grew three times their size and the corners of your little mouth turned down making you look much like Hermey, the would be dentist elf in 
Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer.  (I couldn't find the scene where he is crying!)   Later I was feeding you a little strawberry Jello and Mommy was goofin' around and let a blob plop out of my mouth to splat onto your high chair try.  Again, you transformed from smiling to crying in a couple of seconds.  I felt so bad for being the instigator of the confused look on your face.  Mommy tried to show you it was only Jello but each subsequent time I let it fall from my mouth only made it worse.  Later in the day I was doing laundry.  Normally I will flip out the sheet and let it drift back down over our heads for a good belly laugh but this time you were in tears.  Really?  We use to love that play time playing peek a boo with the sheet.  The next day I took you to the kitchen with me and started to sweep.  Oh how in the old days the sweeper made you fall fast into a deep sleep.  Now the sweeper makes you stop in your tracks and book it 
over to my legs to hang there for dear life.  Tonight you were cruisin around the living room visiting your robot on the little kidney shaped table as you do every day, about 20 times a day.  Per usual you knock robot off of the table.  I hear you playing with it and soon you discover the switch and turn it on.  This is the first, and my guess the last time you will turn on Robot for a while.  You started screaming and skitted as fast as you possibly could onto my lap, thumb shoved snugly into your down turned lips.  Mommy tried to kiss robot and show you that he is our friend.  Kisses did not help the situation.  You were scared.  Mommy is sad to see this new development but also secretly happy that you jet for me to give you comfort and reassurance.  After all, that is what being a Mama is all about so it makes me feel a little more legit.  As you go off into the world, as your defined world gets bigger and bigger you will have fears.  My four big dreams for your life are that you are self sufficient, confident, good to others, and that you go after your passions.  I hope in the process of living independently that you always feel like you can come back to Mama's arms until you are able to make sense of things and learn to tackle them on your own again.  I have faith that Papa and I are doing everything we possibly can to try and make this happen.  For now we will work on returning you and robot to friends.




Love, Mommy

 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Welcome to the 9 month stage! Our kids loved and loathed similar things at this age. He'll be back to loving them before you know it. In between, enjoy him needing his Mama for protection and reassurance. So sweet! AMW

PS Emi is in a stage right now where she wants no one but me--cute and sweet at first--now I am waiting for it to end so i can get on with my daily chores--hard to do that with 25 lbs of tumor on your hip!! I need to enjoy this one last time though--that is what i keep telling myself--these days will be missed.

Anonymous said...

PPS I can't watch the Turkey videos because the robot one is always in front--do i have to be smarter than the computer? AMW

Anonymous said...

PPPS Ok
I AM smarter than the computer--no worries--He is too cute! Good job Mom and Dad!