Friday, March 27, 2009

Slam Dunk the Henderson Account or the Heads are Gonna Roll!; Henry's day at work.

Dear Hank,

Yesterday was a whirlwind of excitement for you! Dressed in your first pair of jeans, sneakers, cowboy shirt and navy hoodie we jumped in the car and made our way over to Columbus for the afternoon. We had a lot on our agenda.

We started out by visiting mommy's old school, Central Middle School, where she taught social studies. We visited mommy's super friend Mindy and she came really close to eating you up she thought you were so cuddly, bones and all. Her super cool students passed on some important advice for you to live as while you grow up... don't get in trouble, save money, have fun, and listen to your parents because they know more than you care to admit. Those big kids looked as if they really know what they were talking about so I'd take their word for it. Then to Karen's room. She didn't have much time but stopped to hug us and say how happy she is we all found each other.

Next, we went to Grandma LaJean's work. She was SO excited to show you around that you caused quite a disruption to the work day. People were coming from every direction to hear what all the fuss was about. When they saw you they knew right away it was because you are about the sweetest thing they have ever seen. I credited J's good looks and my sense of newborn style for your irresistible presence. They were blown over by your calm nature and I assured them that you are for real.



We then ran out to the outlet mall to shop for baby bargains. I didn't find much because not just any shirt will do for you. I did get you two button downs, just like daddy's, and two pair of pj's that have appliqued robots and Martians on them. It is too bad I'll have to wait almost a year to see you in them!



















We left the outlet mall and rushed back to town because I can feel Great Grandma Hazel's anticipation of your arrival growing and I was right. She greeted us at the door and we sat on her couch where she held and fed you. I was on the phone with J letting her know, to her delight, how much lovin' you were getting.


Finally we head to Crappaw and Grandma Paulette's house.
I teased grandma by insisting I carry you into the house.

She wanted to get her arms around you so badly.


Crappaw made funny faces at you and then got you your very own measurin' stick, a tradition in our family. My stick, started when I was 2, is still in the furnace room.


Mommy's height hasn't changed since August 1991, when I was 17! I am sure I will start to see myself shrink at this point but this was not the case for you. All of those feedings have been doing their job as you started out in this world 19" long and now measure in at 20 3/4"! Crappaw and Grandma helped me change a particularly messy diaper and we headed home. They stood on the front porch looking sad as they waved us back to Bloomington.

On our arrival to Bloomington, we met daddy and our adoption support buddies at the Domo hibachi grill. After a great meal and conversation we came on home and settled in for bed time.

Another great day with my little man.
Today we are takin' it easy and you are sleeping to my left in your little owl sleeper. Just a week ago your little owl sleeper looked like it was going to fall off. Little owly is now stretched to the seams.

Mommy loves you

4 comments:

foldenauer5@comcast.net said...

My height hasn't changed since 5th grade. This is his first pair of jeans. I wonder how long it will be before he fills them out? How many times were they rolled up?

foldenauer5@comcast.net said...

It was a special thing to begin Henry's own personal growth stick.
We have watched the special little people, in our lives, rush to their sticks to find out how much they have grown. I think Henry is the smallest to begin. Gma

Anonymous said...

This is a beautiful site Lisa--Thanks for sharing it all with all of us!! I am glad you are feeling like the mom that you are--you're doing an awesome job--and you do have style girl!! Little Hank is tearing it up!! Amanda W

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.