Saturday, January 16, 2010

Traditions around candy do delight


Dear Henry, 
As you well know, Daddy loves to have a 1/2 bag to a full bag of plain M&M's every day at work.  Around the time you were born Mommy went to Sam's Club and bought Daddy a bulk box because keeping up with buying them individually was running me ragged and way less cost effective.  Not to mention Mommy couldn't handle the self imposed guilt I felt when I forgot to get a bag.  For whatever reason the first time I got a bag out of the box I handed the bag to you and had you hand it over to Papa.  From that first time you seemed to know that it wasn't for you to play with but for Papa to take to work with him.  I open the lower cabinet where they live and hand you one and you wave and shake it through the air as if to cheer Daddy on for his long day of work ahead.  Daddy waits with a big smile to get it from you.  Your hand eye coordination used to not quite be spot on just yet and it has taken some time to zone in on Daddy's hands but now it is an entire thing in the morning.  We leave the bedroom.  I hold your left hand.  You Frankenstein walk (your little arms are high up in front of you) all the way into the kitchen.  You lead me straight to the cabinet, sometimes I open it, sometimes you open it and we reach into the box, pull out a bag, and shut the door.  You scramble to turn around and usually start a whale squeal and peal off toward Daddy.  

You get to his legs and set it on his lap or try to put it in his hands.  If the footing isn't sure and the bag of chocolate treats slips to the floor you pick it up and shake it a couple of times and place it back for Daddy's safe keeping.  Everyday.  It is pretty amazing that you remember this each morning.  As weird measures of time go the box originally housed 48 bags and Monday you'll be turning 46 weeks.  I was shocked to find only couple of bags left on Thursday morning.  But time does keep on passing and you do keep getting cooler and cooler.  Nearing on a year is really unbelievable and wonderful to us. 
Love, Mommy


*As a side note, a couple of weeks ago I asked Papa if all of those bags of M&M's were really gobbled down everyday because that has to be some kind of heath concern to which he replied he, "always has a little pile up on his desk," but he can't bare to do with out the morning ritual so he just lets them gather there.


*As a second side note I was so excited by those of you who decided to delurk.  I really don't know how many people read regularly but Mandi from CT left a note and that made my day. I wanted to know for he LONGEST time who that is...Love the hear from you Wisconsin...:)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Lisa, Great story and great photo's!! (and now I know where to look for the M&M's).... Tim