Monday, January 23, 2012

Little Toes

Dear Twinkle Toes, 
Some days I wonder if I will ever find the feelings of gratitude that I have for you have become less intense, or normalize.  Do all parents feel this way or only the variety that fought tooth and nail to be parents month after month, year after year?  The ones like us, that put all of their personal information, medical history, police checks, flaws and strengths out there to be read by strangers and put aside time again until the right time, the right woman looking to make a plan for her baby sighs with relief because you are in fact undeniably the family for her baby.  We are almost three years into your life and I still feel like parenthood is new, a novelty, a dream.  You are an intense little dude.  You love to explore, to dance, to play, to laugh, to test.  You are very independent and like your space.  You are very cuddly but sometimes at your own terms.  Lately my challenge has been finding a way to cut out the hitting when you get frustrated...direct to time out, keeping you busy, breathing deeply together all seem to help but sometimes you flip out.  Despite this challenge big and small moments happen that warm me up and overwhelm my heart... 


This weekend you had a fever and were wanting to cuddle on the couch, watch a movie and fall asleep.  You were slumpin' down slowly, stretching yawns creeping across your face and tiny toes marched up under my jean's leg to nuzzle my leg (which you didn't announce was spicy and needed shaved this time).  I tried so hard to get a picture but every lift of your bicycle blanket you woke up.
Such love.  Nope, the gratitude doesn't seem to dissipate.
Love, Mama

No comments: