Sunday, January 15, 2012

80's Mania


Dear Peep Boy, 
The 80's have taken hold of the Thompson household.  Earlier in the week it was Back to the Future night, yesterday you busted down a cardboard box and started dancing on it (with no prompting, Daddy says it is instinct), this afternoon we watched breakdancing video's on youtube, and this evening we watched ET and ate a homemade banana split.  Watching ET with you was divine; you snuggled closely on the couch, asked lots of questions, showed lots of concern, professed your admiration for the older brother Michael, and best of all, you held my hand through out.  As the movie started and I read the title page you asked what does terrestrial mean.  I explained and you said, "No, it means eating food."  It is now surprise that soon after you need to eat something.  At the part where Elliot waits in his sleeping bag on the back porch to see if his enticing Reese's Pieces would lure ET back you said, "Uh, I'm scared!" and held my hand tighter and leaned waaaaaaay over.  Then as ET approached and he was makin' the noises ET makes you asked about him.  I said, "He is an alien, he came from another planet and his ship had to leave quickly and left him behind."  Your anxious body said, "No, no, that little guy is just going to be a baby."  I said, "No, he is an alien."  You corrected me again, "No, he's just going to be a little baby and stay with them."  
 The sweetest part was you kept calling him RT.  You originally wanted to watch some dragon catcher movie that was terrible, but you kept pointing to the screen asking if that was RT yet.  I had no idea what you were talking about.  You tired of the stink bomb of a movie quickly and we put in ET.  You said, "Is this RT?"  I said, "Who is Archie?"  You said, "NO! RT!"  Then I finally figured it out.  The rest of the movie you said RT then immediately corrected yourself.  It was sweet watching this with you.  You thought it was pretty cool.  We love re-experiencing these things with you.  You give them new life and lots of laughs!  Why all of the links?  It isn't the 80's with lots of product placement.  So what's next?  The Goonies?
Love, Mama 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

While I might not have put this as eloquently, I remember watching ET with my two children. It was none the less sweet as you describe. I can just picture Henron as he watched this with you. Love, Grandma P