Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Sweet Tart

Dear Hank,

Giving you new foods to try is a source of entertainment for Mommy. I situate you into your Bumbo, go to the kitchen to mix the cereal, dump on top of the cereal a couple tablespoons of a fruit or vegetable that has no resemblance to how it looks in nature, mix it and suit you up. I get a rag ready to wipe your hands and a bib velcroed around your chunky neck. You get a little excited each time and start flappin' your arms and your eyes bug out of your head, the anticipation of something new to push around
your mouth to divert your pink taffy tongue from that rough toothie peeking out down in front.

So far you really dig bananas, carrots, squash, sweet potatoes, prunes. Peas, well, let's just say Grandma P tried to keep putting them in your mouth because she enjoyed watching how you'd spit them out in lightening speed.

So, last week I brought out the pears. I have a rule, for right now, that I don't put anything into your mouth that I don't taste first. When you decide to eat mud pies, a few blades of grass or an
ant someday you can forget it... those are your choices. Mommy means if I'm gonna put it in your mouth then I'm your personal taster. If I think it sucks then I'm not going to make you eat it too.

So I tasted the pears and they were sweet and very tart but I knew I'd be mixin' them with cereal so I figured the tartness would be tamed down a bit.

Did you like them? You be Judge Henry and investigate the following four photos.

The answer is, despite these first few bites, you ate all of the pears and seemed to enjoy them. You were very happy afterward and played a long time until you passed out into a deep afternoon sleep, slobbery drool on the side of your head and all.

I love seeing you experience the world with your flappy bird arms and *horsey leg showing such enthusiasm.

*You do this when you're happy. You take one of your legs and drag it forward and up like a horse does in the dirt, don't ask me... it is your thing.

I love ya big eater,
Mama

No comments: