Tuesday, November 13, 2012

On The Curve!

Dear Hazellie, 
We had your two month appointment on the 9th!  You are growing!  That's a good sign!  You were 10 lbs 8 ounces and 21 3/4 inches long.  Your current trend puts you in the 50th on height and 50/75% in weight.  On your tummy you're holding your head straigtht up and peepin' around.  You scoot on your tummy across your planet to nock down the bowling pin, just like your big brother.  The shots this visit phased you for less than five seconds.  You cried real loud then just stopped.  Like a baby, "YEEEEEOOOW!"  Other than the shots, you're just as calm and sweet as ever.  
A small detail about you I want to share in hopes it could help other babies out there is a unique feature about your deep brown eyes.   A couple of weeks ago Mama noticed that your right eye had a little line and white dot in it.  I tried not to worry, you had a doctor's appointment coming up in a week.  I asked about it.  Your doctor didn't know what it was so wanted us to go to Riley in Indianapolis to try and get an answer.  Mommy had already gone into research mode and found many benign things and many very scary things so when Riley called two hours later wanting us to 
come the next day for an evaluation I felt a bit more on the worried side.  We went to the appointment.  Your eyes were dilated.  You weren't so excited about this, especially since you were struggling with the low fever you had after vaccinations the day before.  Two techs and two doctors took a look.  They decided that our sweet Hazel has a baby cataract with a piece of iris attached...and luckily it is the best possible kind you can have.  It isn't too deep or too on the surface of the lens, it isn't too big.  For now it doesn't appear to impact your vision at all.
the big bright one is flash in your eye, the cataract is at little right of 12:00.
If it were any bigger or it grows then you would/will have to have surgery to remove it.  I am glad I said something.  I am glad I had looked closely enough to see it.  I am glad to know it is not retinoblastoma, although if it was retinoblastoma it would have been caught super early and had a good outlook.  I think it is very important to get things checked out early with our babies Hazel.  I will be watching that dot for growth.  It may not grow just because it is afraid of the threatening look I'm givin' it!  You have a follow up in February.  So just as we thought, you're just perfect!  I love ya so much little miss.
Love, Mama  

No comments: