Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Book Worm

Dear Henry, 
Before I was mom I was Miss. Foldenauer, Mrs. Thompson or Mrs. T, and then Lisa while teaching roughly 925 students (plus all of the ones that I subbed for) over 10 years.  I loved teaching but we dreamed of having kids.  One thing I observed as a teacher and experienced in my own life that made all the difference was not only an ability to read but a love of reading.  Mommy has great memories of sitting with Crappaw and Grandma P reading in front of the fireplace or being surrounded by books in my bed, drifting to sleep dreaming of the stories and pictures I had just immersed myself in.  Even as a teenager Uncle Gary and I read through out the summer.  I still love to read and usually have at least two books going at any one time.  When Daddy and I knew you were coming we talked about how important reading is to us.  As a teacher I know how it can keep you engaged, develop your imagination and keep your skills progressing and as a person I know it can enrich your sense of the world and others.  So when people looked at me like I was crazy because at three weeks you had your first library visit signing up for you first library card I didn't flinch.  At 1 year 2 months you love reading.  You can sit through books with longer stories already, sometimes 2 or three.  You bring books to me and hop up in my lap with such excitement you usually bonk your head to mine.  
Most times you'll return a book to the shelf after reading it.  You even enjoy spending 20 minutes or more sitting on my lap reading through the National Geographic with me.  You get REALLY excited over the pictures and will point out the things you know, such as dog, water, and babies.  Often you choose books over toys.  You're our little book worm and I love it.  The other day you ran off and I went to find you and there you were...reading in the window light.
Love, Mama

2 comments:

Amie said...

Lisa,

Two things.
1.) I love your blog. Your such an amazing writer.

2.) Your photography is stunning. These two pictures are beautiful.

Hope to see you guys this summer.

Amie

hughandarlo said...

Love this...Henry, you are such a lucky boy! I wish all children had parents who treasured books as much as yours...xopd.