Monday, January 18, 2010

Roads! Where We're Going We Don't Need Roads!


Dear Henry, 
One of Mommy and Daddy's favorite movie is Back to the Future.  We've watched it a good crap ton of times and love the lines.  As I was thinking over your most recent achievements and the changes that they bring to how you exist in the world a classic line that popped into my head.  It is the last line of the movie where the Doc Emmett Brown responds to Marty McFly's concern that there won't be enough roads to get up the 1.21 gigawatts and 88mph to make the time travel jump safely.  What Marty doesn't know is that in the future there are no limits and the more you know the farther one can go so Doc responds to Marty, "Roads!  Where we're going we don't need roads!"  Classic!  


Mommy mentioned the other day how it blows my mind that one day you aren't doing something and the next day you are...whatever the doing might be it is usually new and fascinating to all of us.  Well, sometime a day or two before you turned 10 months old you got your wheels revving with a little giddy up in your step and took off on your own.  Yep, walking.  Since about a week before Christmas you had been walking with me grabbing hold of my right hand with your left moving around the house together.  You seemed stable and often didn't really even need the support of my grip but Mommy welcomed the closeness and didn't push you too much on your own.  I looked for opportunities to increase your solo distances and in no time the steps started adding up.  The first day I really saw progression was at your 10 month doctor's appointment.  The room we were in had two wooden chairs and you wanted to cruise across them so I started separating them little by little and soon you were two steps on your own, three, and then four!  I was quite impressed by you and happy to see you taking excitement in your own accomplishment.  A few nights later Mommy and Daddy set the ottoman and chairs around the room like an obstacle course and again I made larger and larger separations between objects until you ignored the objects altogether and you were WALKING 5, 6, and 8 steps.  Shesh!  Well!  A few days later Daddy had his wisdom teeth removed and so you spent a night at Grandma LaJean's and a night with Crappaw and Grandma P.  A few hours into your Grandma LaJean visit I get a call, "Hey!  How long has he been walking because he just walked across the living room."  Oops, I forgot to mention it!  When you returned home yesterday you were walking into other rooms, to people, with things in your hands, and long distances!  I really can't believe it.  You look so tiny.  Your Frankensteinian arms and walking stance have turned into delighted little twinkle hands up by your face as if you are savoring delicious little chocolates.  You don't need roads Peep...you go wherever you want now such as to try and put your hands in the toilet, the kitchen trash can, and to pull books off of your new shelf.  Auntie Krispy heard the news and rushed over today to see you.  She too was in disbelief.  

It is a beautiful thing.  I am a bit scared though, in these early steps you're fast...I mean REALLY fast...and I know the speed will only increase and soon we will be in the future.

I love you McFly, 
Love, Mommy

1 comment:

Brook said...

First off, your photoshop skills are out of this world.

Second, I love the overwhelming emotion in auntie's face. Amazing shot!