Thursday, December 3, 2009

The Boys Come for a Visit


Dear Henry, 
Mommy mentioned previously that our friend Adam passed away and our friends Andre and Cameron came to the memorial.  They stayed a few extra days to visit with us.  It was a really nice time!  These are two nice guys with big hearts but Daddy and I predicted that they wouldn't be super interested in playin' with a baby, being single guys.  We were SO WRONG!  From the time they set eyes on you they could not get enough. I will attribute this all to you and how great and lovable you are.  It helps that you let anybody hold you and are gracious with gifting out giggles and smiles.  So we started out the visit by picking them up at a hotel in Indianapolis to head to Muncie for Adam's memorial.  Andre sat in the back catering to your every whim.  He fed you bananas, some cereal puffs (although he admittedly ate a bunch too), and cooed at you in the sweetest little Andre baby voice I thought I would never hear in my lifetime.  Before the service Daddy had to drive the 15 miles to Anderson to visit the a fore mentioned last Rax Restaurant in Indiana.  We were all REALLY hungry at this point.  Daddy was so excited! 

 Now, Mommy knows she should not judge a book by it's cover but Henry I have to say this "cover" was not making me very optimistic about the lunch we were about to eat.  I turned out to be right, although Papa will swear up and down with enthusiasm that it was great!  

Cameron had to work on his speech for the memorial and we had to convince him to cut out some of the obscene content.   We ordered a lot of food but hardly finished any of it because it wasn't even mediocre.  
You tried to eat the roast beef and even you were not chowing down as your usual hungry hungry hippo self.  But...now we can say we've been there, it was open and we sat down inside to eat. 

We returned home late after the memorial.  Daddy went to work for a few hours and we all slept in late the next morning.  We were all really hungry so we decided to meet Daddy to eat at the Village Deli, Mommy washed dishes there in college.  This is when the fighting over you began.  I put you the back of the car and Andre and Cameron stood at either side of the car waiting to see if the other was going to get in.  They were both were wanting to sit in the back with you.  So that is what they did.  I chauffeured the three of you to lunch.

They are tall dudes so they would rather be squished in back with you than sit up front where there is space.  It was really very cute.  They didn't want me to use the stroller when we arrived so they took turns carrying you.  At the restaurant they wanted to keep you with them.

I went out to meet Daddy and to make sure he had a parking spot only to return to find you chewing on a plastic apple butter container.  A few minutes later you had pulled over the vase of flowers spilling water all over the table.  I go to get napkins and return to find Cameron pulling his gum way out of his mouth hoping you'll grab it. 


NO! Cameron! You don't let a baby play with your chewed gum...That's what Mommy would ordinarily say but damn it was all so sweet and happy I couldn't put a stop to it.  He fed you ice to keep you happy while we waited on food.  Now I had to draw the line at them taunting you with their bites of food.  Cameron was giving Andre a bite of his pastry to see if you would try to intercept it.... you did, I did say it was food.  Then Cameron stuck a piece on his tongue to see if you would go after it....you did.  They took care of you every second showering you with attention, cuddles and their own brand of weirdness.  It was clear that you were growing attached quickly and you swatted at Cameron's hair to see if it could lay down.  Not a chance!  


You looked at him like many people who first meet him do..."Who is this guy?!"  You learn that this is what is lovable about Cameron, he is predictably unpredictable. 


That evening was Mommy's birthday.  Grandma P and Crappaw came over to watch you while Daddy took me to the same nice Italian restaurant we went to last year.  It was very delicious, a welcome tradition and a bit romantic as Daddy told me some endearing things.  We talked about you, of course, and how awesome it is that a year ago we sat there talking about how hopeful we were that we would be parents by 35 and there we were! Parents!  On the way home Daddy surprised me with bowling, friends and an awesome funny cake!  The cake's picture was a taco boxing a robot holding up a hot dog!  It was an ice cream cake with a layer of vanilla, a layer of mint chocolate chip, a layer of caramel and a layer of chocolate cake.  

You were very fascinated with all of the candles lit up, Mommy's cake is getting quite full of them.  We all ate enough to put us into a sugar coma and I believe Kate made sure you had some too.  Daddy helped you bowl your first frame too.  He uses a rack thing for assistance, Max places the ball on it and you push the ball right down the alley.  I think you knocked 4 pins down the first time.  

Grandma P and Crappaw told me later that while we were eating the boys took care of your every need, helping to get you dressed, playing with you, and getting you in your car seat.  They said they were so sweet and tender with you it made them see what great dudes they really are.  The next day was beautiful and we decided to walk around down town.  We ate lunch at the Bakehouse.  It was delicious.  You were very grabby and with the guys in control I think they were excited to see your reaction to things.  You dumped a large thing of syrup all over the table.  They had a difficult time keeping your hands out of it and you smelled sugary the rest of the afternoon.  

 
After lunch we went to a thrift stores where the boys picked up some jackets and plaid pants.  They threw you into a large bin of 50% off clothes which made you look like you were in a cage.  There was a handmade market at the Waldron so we went to see what they might have, thinking it might be doilies and toaster covers but it turned out to be really awesome.  You loved looking around and our helpful friends took duty caring you and pushing the stroller.  Cameron bought you a caterpillar plushie and you promptly tucked it under your arm to prop up your thumb sucking hand.  

 
 
We ended our day by meeting our friend Stacy back home to go eat at a Thai restaurant.  It was really delicious and we had an entire room to ourselves.  It felt like we were sitting down to a little family meal.

After dinner we went to Soma for some coffee, one of your favorite places due to the smells and things to see.  You beat on the King Kong in the fish tank for a while until we went to the cookie place and you passed out in my arms.  

The next morning it was time for the boys to leave for home and it was sad.  They were getting all of their cuddles in.  Andre had to yell at Cameron for taking more time than him, but this is Cameron.  You were napping and they looked at you so close and lovingly that I felt like I was going to cry.  

They passed you off with the same caution and love Mommy and Daddy did when you were first born, afraid of breaking our precious gift.  

As Stacy drove them away they had their windows rolled down with sad puppy eyes they waved out them; I detected a different kind of emotional attachment than in the past.  I am certain in many ways our emotions were all close to the surface, highly saturated...with Adam's death, not being all together in nearly 3 years, the realization that we are now all grown up, and that you are now in all of our lives.  You have a way of making living and the day to day rich.  Henry, you're mellow, already have a good sense of humor and are full of curiosity.  Watching you growing up is an endowment I'm not sure I've earned, however I will take it and promise my best to never loose sight of your special qualities and to encourage you always.  Taking a step back this weekend and watching you interact with Cameron and Andre, bringing out the awesome fathers awaiting to emerge in them, opened my eyes to the fact that I have everything I've ever desired.  

I have an awesome husband and partner that works hard for us everyday so we can live without fear or dread of how we'll eat or where we'll sleep tomorrow.  He makes me laugh and to think.  I have a gentle, conscientious, loving present father for my boy.  I have a great home.  I have family and in-laws who support us no matter what we need or want to do.  I have friends that are intelligent and thoughtful about the world and those around them.  I have you my softest sweet-tempered baby Peep, due to the love and commitment of J to provide the type of family and environment she yearned her beautiful baby boy to have.  Now that is blessed.
Love, Mommy

2 comments:

Amie said...

Beautifully written Lisa. I know that everyone also feels blessed to have you, Steve, and baby Henry in their lives. Tim and I included! Love you guys!

Anonymous said...

Dear Henry, Your Momma did it again. Love, Grandma P