Friday, October 15, 2010

Oh! Windy City, You Blew Us Away! Part 1 of 3

Dear Honree (That's what you've been calling yourself),
Early last month Dadoo was called to Chicago to attend a regional work meeting.  We were able to tag along.  While Dadoo worked all day we ran around Chicago having an exciting time.  Lucky us! Chicago!  It felt sad not having Dadoo there to share in the experience but I am so grateful we had those three days together in the big city.  I decided we'd have some big adventures just bummin' around rather than spending a lot of money to enter the museums.  After all, without Dadoo the expected excitement of the Science and Industry, the awe of the aquarium, the creepiness of the Museum of Natural History or the creative juices of the art museum would feel empty and bland.  To our fortuitous bliss the weather was 92 and SUNNY!  A fluke but for us a blessing, days before our arrival it was quite cool and the day we left rain, winds and chill prevailed.  So our impromptu itinerary...

Day 1, We dropped Dadoo off at the federal building just after noon with hugs and kisses.  Swept away in the Chicago traffic we checked in at the Amalfi hotel.  The ultra modern lobby was really exciting to you and your hands had to touch the glass water feature by the check in desk.  We entered the room and you were jumpin' around, checkin' things out, pulling open doors and peepin' out the window.  We needed to change your clothes because the weather was so great and I laid you on the bed.  You sunk into the plumped up pillows, sighed and said, "Sleep!"  You've never said the word sleep before so I figure you thought this was a pretty dreamy bed.  A call from the front desk to remind us to, "go park our car already," and poopie in your pants gave me reason to hurry to gather our things to go.  Luckily the hotel's parking was in a very spotable building, Marina City apartments and offices, the only white round buildings in a climbing zoo of shining glass rectangles.  I decided this was a prominent enough compass to guide ourselves back to the hotel so I set out on foot, you by stroller.  In about 60 seconds, "BAM!" your mind exploded from all of the new input.  Perched forward on the edge of your stroller we crossed a draw bridge pausing to look at the water and boats passing below.  Your finger couldn't point fast enough and you couldn't get out words or sounds...then boat!, water!, OH! OH! breaks through.  We hoofed it along the river down to Navy Pier.  Eh, Navy Pier, not such a big deal, except for Garrett's Popcorn the Chicago mix, a 
large sailing ship pushing off, birds pickin' up the popcorn you dropped, funny mirrors and lots of water to look at.  You loved it! 
I was worn out from the four hour drive, the walk and the heat so we spotted a water taxi.  For 4 bucks we were able to ride it nearly all the way back to the hotel.  This being your first time on a boat your excitement was electric as was your apprehension.  Clearly, my Henry is a confident dude so you hopped around until the motor went into gear, pulled into the river and with the visual space before us I said, "Henny, look up!  Look at the tall buildings. Wave at all the people in the windows."  You craned your neck back and said, "OHH!" and started to wave.  I tried to scoot you over a bit so I could get a photo of you but still looking around you'd shuffle your buns back to my side, spotting things you knew the name of while wadding the corner of my sweater into your sweaty hand or patting my knee.  
 The bridges really made you perk up and your eyes widened as we passed under them.  I looked at your sparkly brown green eyes, synapses firing, one hand waving, the other clutching.  AND...
TINK! just like that, a rough edge I didn't know I had chipped off from my heart, lofted overboard and seesawed through the water to the river bed, settling there permanently.  I am your Mama, clearly your Mama and you feel safe with me.  I took a deep breath away from the city panic and inhaled the entirety of the moment the best I could.  My dreams of a little buddy materialized in a river taxi in Chicago.  I had anticipated time together in Chicago was going to be a treasure (a word you started saying in Chicago).  The boat stopped and I snapped out of la la land when I had to carry your stroller with you, a full diaper bag and the jumbo sized popcorn up two VERY long, steep rises of steps.   It was time to pick up Dadoo.  Returning to the hotel we rested a little while you arranged the shoes in the window.  
Then we met Stacy and Kevin, a couple of Chicago friends for dinner.  After eating we returned to our hotel room and chit chatted and laughed at your antics until Mama got the idea to put you in the free robe. You tripped and fell on the fancy modern cabinet handles that stick out a couple of inches into the room.  You cut the corner of your eye on it, gushing blood and crying hard.  We were all a little freaked but the blood stopped, Stacy had Neosporian handy in her purse, and you were back to playing but it was clearly time for bed.  End of day 1!    
Love, Mama

2 comments:

Kristin said...

What an excellent adventure! I look forward to the next installment.

(And I love that you called it "breaks through." Are M and I really not the only ones dorky enough to joke about compound nouns?)

edmo said...

He is pretty gorgeous and I love his hair.

(I'm a friend of Tim Anderl, I've been following your blog since the adoption)