Sunday, August 14, 2016

Last Day, First Day

Dear Henry, 
The growing is good, it means you're alive and thriving but it can have a way of twisting my guts up and giving me a sad little twinge that this thing where we are buddies is getting closer and closer to you building independent friendships and needing me less.  7. You're seven now.  You ended the first grade year well, at a start of third grade reading level and on point with math skills.  
Though we haven't found the right stories to create a passion for reading non-fiction, I am appreciating your passion for reading wacky, weird facts of the real world or scouring over books gathering stats and the habits and body peculiarities of natures creatures.  I'm not sure you show any sort of motivation to show your teachers or classmates the inspiring levels of knowledge and thinking skills you have but we enjoy your knowledge and learning from your independent studies.  One great example you hold on to with steal strength is the time you told us that pigeons give their babies milk.  Daddy and I were major doubters even after you continued to explain, figuring you must have something wrong there.  We gave our arguments that birds aren't mammals, they don't have breasts, they don't have hair, are you sure about that buddy?  I launched a google search and sure enough...pigeons do feed their young a milk like nutrient rich secretion they make in their crop.  You told us.  It only took us a couple of more times to understand that you know exactly what you are talking about.  Your 5th grade reading buddy told me she also tries to get you to read stories but you stick to any and all nonfiction, but she has learned a lot.  This year, 2nd grade started up on August 8th.  You made your sign for your first day picture, we bought supplies, chose and laid out your clothes for day 1.  Without a hitch you went to bed and got up and got ready to head off to school.  I appreciate that, I mean REALLY appreciate that ease at which you get going in the mornings, such maturity there. 
Daddy, Hazel and I took you in for your first day, our school encourages it, another thing to be grateful for.  Your school. The best fit for you and I feel sad for all of the families on the waiting list with such hope that they could get in, and we are there!  You found your cubby, scoped out your sitting spots on the floor and founds some friends to dig into some activities with.  The chime rings calling all the 1st and 2nd graders to their circle spots and the wet eyed parents leave to allow the first day of learning to ensue.  It doesn't pass me that I was chosen to do this.  

I was chosen to have this moment with you, with Daddy. That at one time I didn't think I would have a first day with my little buddy, of any sort.  I am grateful for how we became your parents because it creates a deep gratitude for the smallest of moments.  I love you buddy, and will miss you while you're gone during the day, but am certain you are in safe hearts and minds. 
Love, Mama 

1 comment:

Grandma Jean said...

He looks so grown up sitting in the circle. It is bittersweet
to see him growing up so fast!