Tuesday, July 3, 2012

I'm Marty, You're Doc and This is Loraine

Dear Marty, 
Yep, I said Marty.  Settle in, this is going to be a long one.  There is a particularly imaginative, a little over the top, entrenched deeply phase you're going through right now,  let's call it the "All Things McFly Phase."  I've mentioned pieces of it here and there, this obsession with Back to the Future and now it is time to dedicate at least one full entry.  For once I know I can't even touch in the blog how deep this thing runs...  I will miss the richness of details it takes to get it across.  This is mostly because the details of all things McFly at this point are in the 100,000,000's.  That is likely a drastic underestimate and only based on the thoughts, questions and demands we hear outside of your head.  Perhaps this thing is less of a phase and more of a lifestyle choice.  I'll start with this, 80% of the time when someone asks you your name you say, "Marty and this is Loraine(pointing to me.) and this is Doc (pointing to Daddy)."  Yep.  You force Bahboo to call his truck a DeLorean and he is Biff.  *Please note Bahboo is "the good Biff that doesn't treat people badly."  Due to the lack of women characters in Back to the Future you decided Grandma P could be Cinderella  per her suggestion (I think she pulled a con with this one but you agreed after she told you the story) JoJo is Loraine's friend, Grandpa Tim is George McFly...and so it goes.  If Henry knows you then he tries his hardest to fit you in as a character.  A few weeks ago I showed you Teen Wolf.  Your face looked as though I was personally twisting your guts up by hand.  I told you over and over and over that this wasn't Marty, but the actor Michael J. Fox.  This actor that plays Marty and Scott.  You said but, "He is wearing Marty's jean jacket and shoes!"  You "got it" half way through but based on your comments the rest of the movie you decided this Marty is in some alternate universe and in the Teen Wolf universe cousin Tony could be Scott, the teen wolf.  "But why is that guy in the house with Marty?  That's not Marty's house and his dad isn't George!"  I am pretty sure you wanted to live in denial rather than acknowledge Marty is not a real person.  So let me list some ways you've allowed this admiration of all things McFly to manifest.
-We can't pass a city/ town clock tower without you making comment.
-You make us call you Marty, if you are playing something else like Ice Age you are Marty playing Diego and I am Loraine playing Ellie and Daddy is Doc playing Manny.  This gets confusing!  
-If you are being disciplined and I call you Henry many times you correct me or will ignore us until we call you Marty.  Speaking of discipline, one time we were in a store and I was trying to get you to hold my hand and go to the bathroom and you yelled, "GET YOUR DAMN HANDS OFF OF ME!"  Like George yells to Biff when he is assaulting Loraine.
- The last one leads me to my least favorite, the face punch modeled off of George punching Biff when he has George's hand twisted behind his back.  Ouch.  You've got the look of it down and I think the force is pretty close too.
-You may as well be wearing a WWMD bracelet because every time you dress you go into a long conversation about what Marty would and would not wear.  
-Speaking of clothes, you make me take an ink pen and write "Marty" on the waist band of your underwear before you'll put them on. Yep!  You don't want Loraine mistaking you for Calvin Klein anymore like in the movie.  You won't wear certain socks or shirts because you believe Marty wouldn't.  You have also expressed to me on more than one occasion we really need to find black suspenders.
-You ask me to put on your too big Nike's because they are like Marty's shoes and if they had a "red swoosh it would be even better."
-You are insisting in this 100+ degree weather to wear blue jeans.  Cousin Jonny and I explained that this just didn't make sense.  The move took place in the fall, if it were summer Marty would be wearing shorts.  This you seemed to let go of.
-Anything that triggers any reminder of back to the future you point it out, no matter how remote.  For example last week in Dayton as we walked on the tunnel to the hotel you saw cables outside the window that were "just like the ones Doc uses to attach at the clock tower!"  They were too.
-You are Huey Lewis and the News fanatic now.  I mentioned how you made the DJ at our friend's wedding play Power of Love...at home we borrowed the CD from the library.  Each night or when anyone comes over you insist on taking them to your room and dancing with them and the Power of Love blasting out of your radio.  You also scream out some of the lyrics.
-You have suspenders and a checked shirt you want to wear EVERYDAY but luckily there is one advantage to not getting the laundry done super regularly.
-You take our old skateboard and try to toss it and front of you and jump on like Marty does.
-Last night you came in the dinning room with water soaking your hair, shirt and clothes.  You jump in front of me asking, 
Henry- "HEY! How do I look?"  
Me- "Wet! What have you been up to?"  

Henry-  "Trying to make my hair look like Marty."
Me- "Oh! It looks great! Let me take your picture so you can see."
Henry-  "Oh! That sounds like a great idea!"
After a couple of photos- "I think you need a little more water, it is almost just right.  Can you show me how you do it?"
Henry- "Sure!"  See the subsequent photos.  Too funny.
-You now call your bicycle blanket "Future Blanket."
-You ask if everything is 1980's or 1950's
-Stumbling around our camp site you kept asking where the plutonium is.
-To get to do stuff or get out of stuff you'll say, "Marty doesn't like that."  or you'll go on and on about how Marty does like something.
-You will flop on the floor and act like you're sleeping in the position Marty is when his alarm wakes him up.  Butt in the air arm twisted around over your back.  See photo-
- When you sleep you want to sleep in your clothes because, "Marty does."  But since we explained that he is in his clothes because he has to wake up to meet Doc at the mall parking lot you will agree to wear your guitar jammies because Marty plays guitar in a band called the Pinheads.
- You made me "look up on your computer what pins Marty has on his jean coat."
-  You are in search of an orange vest.  Once we saw an orange coat and you asked if I would buy it and chop off the sleeves for you.


You get the point Henry, sorry I mean Marty.  This is far reaching.  I wonder if this obsession will make it to 2015, the 30 years in the future Marty goes in Back to the Future 2.  Who knows but right now it is keeping life entertaining.  Just now you called, "Hey Loraine! Come and see me."  You were in the kitchen assuming the sleeping position.
Love, Loraine, I mean Mommy.
 

3 comments:

Sasha O'Doyle said...

Oh my goodness! This is hilarious :) I love how kids still have amazing imagnations even with all the bad stuff in the world. So sweet and innocent. Mar is into Spiderman and has copied Peter in the 3rd movie by yelling, "Damn door!" Pretty sure he has no idea what it means though lol

Unknown said...

I thought of you when a friend posted that yesterday was the date that Marty arrived in the future.

Matt Whitlock said...

I am rolling at work. Too funny!